This design does have two big buttons (press stud style) but is, again, extremely simple to make and even more importantly, easy for your toddler to fit on her doll all by herself.
Ross calls this my Cube Design... which might make you think it could be something cool from the 70s... when in fact, it really does just look like a cube. :) It might not be the most flattering design but it is the most practical design. No fuss. No tears. And Elise has hours of fun dressing Dolly all by herself without any help from any adult.
What you need (this design will fit a doll that is approximately cm tall):
- If you're making a dress that is all one piece of material you'll need a piece of material 36cm wide x 27 cm high. If you want to make a two-tone dress (like the one featured, with polka dots and a block colour) you'll need two strips of material: 36cm wide x 10cm high and 36cm wide x 17cm high).
- You'll also need a piece of material for the straps 11cm x 14cm (cut into two strips: 5.5cm x 14cm).
- Two press stud buttons. Choose big ones that will be easy for your toddler to connect by herself.
- Thread, needle, pins.
- Embellishments - I have used a button.
To make the dress:
1. Fold over one edge on each piece of material to create a mid-point seam, lie the two pieces of material on top of each other, pin and sew to create a seam across the chest of the dress. Obviously omit this step if you're using just one piece of material.
2. Hem the dress all the way around (the two sides, the baseline and the neckline).
3. Add big press stud buttons and sew them to the inner and outer seam.
4. Add straps. Simply fold your strips of material over to make them look neat, sew along the inside of the strap to finish it. Then attach it to your dress at the appropriate point. The straps vary from doll to doll so I can't give exact measurements here. Just put the dress on top of your doll to work out where the shoulder straps need to go.
5. Add a pretty embellishment, such as a button or ribbon:
Hooray for easy doll's clothes!
Love and hugs,
Rebecca and Elise x